- corn tortillas for the number of enchiladas there should be enough sauce to make 3-4 dozen
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese per dozen enchiladas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano (I used Mexican oregano but regular is fine)
- 3 Tablespoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chilli pepper (this is spicy, it can be reduced to taste)
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can(s) tomato sauce, 8 ounces
- 4-5 cups water, divided
- meat, you can use any meat – ground meat, shredded chicken
- diced onions to top enchiladas (optional)
How To Make BEEF AND CHEESE ENCHILADAS
Step 1: Place a large saucepan on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
Step 2: Add olive oil and allow it to become hot.
Step 3: Add garlic and onions. Sauté until aromatic and translucent.
Step 4: Add 3 cups of water, tomato sauce, all the seasonings. Stir until well mixed.
Step 5: Allow the mixture to boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Step 6: Apply cooking spray in a large pan.
Step 7: Prepare the oven and preheat to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
Step 8: Generously coat each tortilla with the sauce.
Step 9: Top each tortilla with cheese and meat.
Step 10: Roll each tortilla and arrange them into the prepared pan.
Step 11: Spread 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
Step 12: Sprinkle shredded cheese and sliced onions on top.
Step 13: Place them inside the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Step 14: Remove from the oven and serve right away with rice. Enjoy!