Beef Barley Soup is incredibly easy and so delicious.This homemade beef barley soup can be made ahead of time and freezes well making it the perfect family dinner!
I have to tell you, there is nothing like a good hearty soup. When I make a soup, I am aiming for one that warms you from the inside out, and makes you feel good all over.
This recipe is unbelievably delicious, comforting and so meaty! Loaded with barley, veggies, and melt in your mouth beef chunks, this hearty soup is easy to make and will become a new winter favorite!
- 1 pound boneless chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups carrots thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup onion chopped
- 1 package pre-sliced mushrooms 8-ounce
- 2 tbs beef base (this is different than beef broth it is a base that makes beef broth)
- 8-10 cups water
- 1 large bay leaf
How To Make Beef and Barley Soup
1. Brown beef in non-stick fry pan until browned, stirring frequently.
2. Remove beef from pan and place in crockpot, Add carrot, celery, onion, and mushrooms, beef base, water, garlic and bay leaf.
3. Cook on high heat for one hour, add pearl barley then turn down to low and cook till vegetables and beef are tender. Stir in salt and pepper.
4. Discard bay leaf.
COOKING TIPS FOR BEEF BARLEY SOUP:
- Use a tough cut of meat – this is a prime example of when to use a tougher cut of meat like a chuck roast or shoulder. No need to buy expensive sirloin tips or anything.
- Browning the beef adds flavor – but isn’t absolutely essential. I love to brown my beef pieces, since I love that extra deep flavor it adds… but I’ve made this several times without taking that extra step, and it still tastes delicious.